fuel filter fittings

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Thu Oct 30 05:54:20 GMT 1997

sfg wrote:

> George M. Dailey wrote:
> >
> > SAE compression fittings are the holy grail you are looking for. I cut the
> > tubing an inch or so before the GM fitting add the comp. fitting and you're
> > ready to tie into any thing.
> >
> > GMD
> >
> > At 11:28 PM 10/28/97 -0500, you wrote:
> > >--------
> > >
> > >I'm trying to use a stock GM fuel filter ('88 tpi Camaro) in my
> > >efi engine swap, but I'm having trouble with the fittings.
> > >These are the ones with the o-ring seals and seem to be
> > >metric. Are these called siginaw fittings? I would like to
> > >put this inline with the steel tubing, but I only have a
> > >single/double flare tool. What's the best way to connect
> > >this without buying a new flaring tool nor having a handful
> > >of adaptors? (Anyone know, off hand, what one of those tools
> > >cost?)
> > >                                       John S Gwynne
> > >                                          Gwynne.1 at osu.edu
> > >_______________________________________________________________________________
> > >               T h e   O h i o - S t a t e   U n i v e r s i t y
> > >    ElectroScience Laboratory, 1320 Kinnear Road, Columbus, Ohio 43212, USA
> > >                Telephone: (614) 292-7981 * Fax: (614) 292-7297
> > >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > >

> > George M. Dailey
> > gmd at tecinfo.com
> I share the same dilemma re GM FI fittings (filter and
> fuel tank fittings) I agree, the SAE compression end of the
> fitting you suggest that we use will connect with the tubing,
> after we cut off the GM OEM flare. The other end (to the
> fuel filter) is metric, and is designed for use with an
> O-ring. I have had no success finding correct fittings.
> It is possible, as I am doing now, to use 1/4-NPT with
> lots of teflon tape to go into the GM filter. It's a kluge
> though. I have added a Mallory FI pump on the frame rail
> at the fuel filter location ('87 Blazer) and would like
> to plumb it properly, without cutting, taping, or sliding
> hoses onto flares. GM dealer, NAPA, Earls....all, no joy.
> I suspect I'll make fittings from brass rod stock on lathe
> if no one can get GM part numbers.

  Yesterday I posted that I would try to get the number of any tool which GM
recommends for making metric flares.  Today I am saying that I will try to get fuel
fitting/line part numbers.  I will, I will, but if I don't post them within a couple
of days, remind me, as we are 1 mechanic short today and I've been pretty busy.  Now
if I can remember to look at my list tomorrow...