fuel filter fittings

Jim Davies jimd at vcc.bc.ca
Fri Oct 31 17:13:53 GMT 1997

On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Tom Cloud wrote:

> worked on anyway).  The tubing was SS, about 1/4" in diameter with
> a pinhole sized i.d.  Many of the fittings were compression!
>
> Very few of the tubing fittings we used were flare -- and they
> were the ones to give problems.  Based on my experience and from
> what I see at Home Desperate, et al, it looks to me that it's like
> crimp electrical fittings or any number of other things -- it's
> the quality of the part.

Agreed. If it says "Weatherhead" on it, use it, otherwise forget it. IMO,
of course. As for flare vs compression fittings, workmanship is an
important factor, along with brand used. Here is my thinking on it, based
on my experience.

1) either will work, in the pressure ranges of interest here.
2) a double flare takes a bit of skill to do properly, and if faulty will
leak.
3) a compression fitting takes a bit of skill to do, especially being sure
the tube end is straight for the necessary length, the tube cutter was
used properly (and was of decent quality) and the compression union is not
overtorqued. If this is done correctly, it is a suitable joint. If done
badly, it will leak. If done semi-badly, it will leak LATER. It will fail
due to vibration, the nut which is very thin, may split lengthwise or
tubing problems related to its hardness may appear.
4) To me, the word "later" is the problem. Don't know about others, but
I prefer to spend the time and money necessary to do something properly,
and then forget about it. YMMV.

Jim Davies