Magnetti Marelli EFI system programming.

WILMAN wilman at hkabc.net
Tue Sep 2 00:21:46 GMT 1997

----------
> From: Chris Wilson <chris at maximum-bhp.u-net.com>
> To: diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Cc: chris at maximum-bhp.u-net.com
> Subject: Magnetti Marelli EFI system programming.
> Date: Tuesday, September 02, 1997 5:16 AM
>
> Hi all.I am a bit of a lurker here,trying to learn what I can,but I have
> an unresolveable problem,at the moment.
>
> I have bought a Reynard Formula 3 single seater,with an Alfa Romeo 2
litre
> F3 twin spark engine.(A Novamotor unit from Italy).Novamotor use a
> Magnetti Marelli ECU to operate the injection and ignition,but on first
> glance it looked very much like a Weber Alpha system.I understand
> these,and have access to the interface and software for pulling the
> map,and modifying it.
>
> To my annoyance,I am told that only Novamotor Italy have the software to
> mess with this Magnetti Marelli system,and being in the UK,this is
> somewhat inconvenient... :-)
>
> Am I stuck with the map it comes with,or is there a way to paly with this

> ECU?
	What is the exact model number printed on the ECU? There should be a
label.

> If it is a no hoper,what might I replace the ECU with,that would allow
> _me_ to re map the sytem on _our_ dyno,with sensibly priced software and
> interface,and yet leave as much of the rest of the system intact? At a
> glance we seem to have air inlet temp,throttle position,water temp,crank
> position.maybe distributor position,and maybe a knock sensor.

Try Gems. They offer a full range of programmable ECU's. The programming
software is free and you use a laptop for programming. Their email address
is gems at gems.co.uk , I believe. Ask for Mr Richard Lloyd. By the way, it is
a British company!