need a PROM programmer

Todd King Todd_King at ccm2.jf.intel.com
Tue Sep 2 20:44:09 GMT 1997

     I'm looking to buy a p-port PROM programmer; I'm currently considering
     the Intronics pocket programmer @ $129. Anyone have any
     comments/recommendations? I need portability as I want to program 2732
     PROMs at the track. I don't want to spend alot of bucks either. I
     currently have a Needham's PB10 ISA slot device, but that's not really
     portable :-) Thanks for any input on this; I know that many of you
     folks have mucho experience along these lines. Also, I've made
     progress on the Buick turbo; recall that last time I had just
     installed ported heads, etc with an xperimental cam that did not work
     well. Plus it turned out I had some split intake gaskets as well due
     to using RTV on the back side of FelPro "print-o-seal" style gaskets.
     Car only went 12.2 (first outing) and was very problematic, even with
     C16 fuel. Anyway, I've since installed a very mild Comp Cams 252H and
     fixed the teething problems. Vacuum at idle (800rpm) is now 18" Hg and
     absolutely rock steady (I thought the gauge was malfunctioning it is
     so steady!) Now this weekend I installed a "Very Windy" TE63 turbo w/
     .82 ar exh (it's Big ;-) along with a stout Precision Turbo & Engine
     front mount intercooler with huge 4" thick core, 3" mandrel bent super
     lightweight aluminum pipes, etc (not to mention the wallet is alot
     lighter now too). Geezus- I never thought I'd have a street car that
     would leave black stripes and tire smoke on the freeway from dropping
     the hammer at 65 mph. What a moose! It must be a real trip for the
     drivers behind me to see the car do a powerslide on the highway...
     What fun! Now to clean out those shorts... :-) I'm going to try and
     hit the 1/8 mi event this Wed eve at the local drags. It oughta really
     run well; I hope for some mid/low 7's at 95+ (1/8th mi) through the
     muffs for this first (tentative) outing. What's really amazing is the
     streetability; the car is running better now from a driveability
     standpoint than it did stock, with all the great mpg intact, etc.

     Todd       todd_king at ccm2.jf.intel.com