Weld-L's

Seth n9540517 at cc.wwu.edu
Wed Sep 3 04:14:01 GMT 1997

On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, Frank F Parker wrote:

> > Thanks for the feedback, and if anyone else has any leads, please let me know.
> >
> > Brock Fraser
> > fraser at netten.net
> >
> Brock,
>
> I looked them up in McMaster Carr catalog, page1433 of catalog #98,
> phone # 708-833-0300, Chicago; IL  :
>
> 	304 Stainless, 1 1/2 " ips, schedule 40, 90deg elbow, $16
> 	Also available in schedule 5,10, and 80
>
> 80 is thicker. Meet ASTM std A-403/A
>
> These are also available in mild steel. I have built sevsral turbo
> manifolds using them. Work very well.
>
> Regards,
>
> Frank Parker

Just a note of caution- the tubing shoud be 304L not just 304, for usage
at elevated temp.  Straight 304 has too much carbon and sensitizes.  The
chromium in the stainless forms chromium carbide, and you get mild steel
mixed with stainless and carbides.  Ther result can corrrode faster than
mild steel.  The temp rande to stay away from is from 800F to say 1400F (
quoting from memory here) this is about the temp of exhaust gasses and
probably the manifold.  Carefully welded 304L has less carbon and none
introduced by welding and then doesn't corrode in this fashion.  This
phenomenon is a contributor to the early decomissioning of some nuclear
reactors.

Don't want to scare anyone, just make sure it is "L" grade stainless ( or
321 or 347) that you weld on for high temp use.

Seth Allen