Fuel Pressure.....what to use ?

James Weiler james at brc.ubc.ca
Mon Sep 8 21:41:56 GMT 1997

On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, Simon Quested wrote:

> Hi All
>
> With the fuel pressuer debate going on I thought i'd throw this in...
>
> Atomosphere (1 bar) = 14.7 psi
> turbo boost = 15 psi
>
> so the fuel pressure is going to need to be at least 14.7 more than
> max in the inlet manifold this will give me a total fuel pressure of
> 44.4 psi  (3 bar approx)
Depending on the system you are going to use the base fuel presure for a
stock Ford system is 42 psi with the vacume refrence unpluged and engine
running. With the engine running and the line plugged in it should drop
to about 20 psi.  Now with 15 psi of boost you'll need to to go 42+15=
57psi total.

Idle presure should be the same in a turbo motor or NA application since
there is no boost at idle.  The more important question is how are you
going to manage fuel under boost? i.e. you are adding more air so how are
you adding more fuel?

cheers
jw