O2 Sensor Location

Frank F Parker fparker at umich.edu
Tue Sep 9 00:55:31 GMT 1997

> On a home-built Turbo/EFI performance system using an aftermarket ECU,
> should the O2 sensor be located before the turbo or after ? If after the
> turbo, how far after ?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Mike M.
I built a custom efi/tubo system and I put it after the turbo because
of 2 reasons:
		1. back pressure from turbo will raise temps and reduce
		life of O2 sensor.
		2. Hard to find a position to get a good average of all
		cylinders.

I would put it 6-10 or more pipe diameters after outlet of turbo to
get past the turbulance at output.
It is not fussy. I used a heated sensor in S10-V8 with sensor after
2 downpipes came together-several feet from header.

Frank Parker
fparker at umich.edu