Propane on Fuel Injected Cars

Neall Booth nbooth at hutchtel.net
Tue Sep 9 02:13:50 GMT 1997

Greg Wood:

> I'm kind of curious on this also.  Can I use the same
> ECM and just change to propane injectors??

Not very likely.  If you simply want to use the gasoline computer in
your vehicle you will have a lot of trouble making propane injection
work.  Almost universally, propane is utilized in it's vapour phase.  As
such, the pulse widths required to inject a stoichiometric amount of
fuel are considerably longer than gasoline.

Additionally, there aren't any "propane" injectors avaliable, that I
know of.  However, natural gas injectors, like those made by Bosch for
Chrysler do work.  You will need complete access to the ECM though to
optimize fuel delivery, etc.

Ideally you would like to inject propane as a liquid into the cylinder,
and gain the effects of charge cooling.  However, liquid phase propane
injection is a whole different ball of wax, one that even the propane
industry is reluctant to touch.

> Are their
> any books written detailing conversions and whats involved?
> I guess thats basically what i'm lookin for.  A "How to" book
> that would explain all the pitfalls etc. that are involved in a
> conversion of this type.

There are books avaliable on converting a vehicle to run on vapour
propane carburation, however information of propane FI is limited at
best (scarce to nil might be a better explination).  The propane
industry is presently lagging behind the gasoline industry by a great
many years, and as such there is limited information, parts, and
technical help avaliable for developing propane fuel injection.

An actual propane conversion is not too difficult.  However, if you want
to make it a fuel injection system it will complicate the matter.

If you've got more questions, fire away.

Neall
--
Neall Booth
nbooth at hutchtel.net