Rev limiter curcuit

Craig Pugsley c.pugsley at trl.telstra.com.au
Wed Sep 10 11:29:40 GMT 1997

Here's my good deed for the day..
A few (5) years ago I designed & built a rev limiter that can be
connected to any conventional kettering ignition (but has only ever been
tested on a points ignition).

It's based on an LM2917 and an SCR, which has the very nice side effect
of being impossible to generate any mis-timed sparks, a highly desirable
attribute for high output rotary engines (300+hp).
When the limit is reached by _accelerating_ to the rev limit, the
transition is smooth and causes no backfiring. (BUT it may well destroy
the exhaust if the engine is downshifted and consequently over-revs)

Please note that the description of the design philosophy and operation
is not done yet (give me a few days for these)

You can find it at:
http://www.3rotor.com/rotary/PG01.HTM

Also I have a design for a LED bargraph meter that displays injector %
duty.. So I'll start drawing it up soon. Finally I may put up a new CDI
design that's in a local electronics mag.. It's an impressive piece of
work!

Cheers,
Craig.