O2 sensor output

Michael Skolones michaels at telerobot.com
Wed Sep 10 15:13:57 GMT 1997

--IMA.Boundary.963409378

     For the typical, less expensive (lambda=1 setting) sensor the value at
     stoich is not well defined.  The O2 sensor acts somewhat like a
     two-position switch: for lean mixtures the output is low (~0.1 V), for
     rich mixtures it is high (~0.8 V), but the slope of the V vs lambda
     curve is very steep around the stoich point where lambda=1.  The ECU's
     job is to vary the mixture such that the O2 sensor ouput bounces back
     and forth regularly between these two values.  I suppose you could use
     the average of the low and high readings from your sensor as a
     "perfect mixture" reading, but I doubt you'll be able to get your FI
     system to stay exactly at this mixture setting.

     The newer, more expensive sensors (around US $300 and up) have a more
     spread-out curve, and the numerical values of the sensor output are
     useful.  The output value at stoich for these sensors depends on the
     individual sensor model, though lambda=1.2 is common (I think. Don't
     have one, so I'm not sure)

     Mike Skolones