OBD II - fuel trims (adaptives)

James Boughton boughton at bignet.net
Wed Sep 10 15:44:54 GMT 1997

Basically, you weren't too far off to begin with.  The short term
adaptives are typically used for two purposes.  First, to account
for unusually rapid changes in fuel/air.  A full vapor canister after
a hot soak can cause this type of behavior.  Second, this term
is usually used to create the small oscillations in fuel/air required
to make a catalyst work well.

The long term adaptives are typically much more stable, relating
to such things as injector drift.  But the long term adaptives can
move around due to conditions such as the hot soak condition
mentioned above.

For both long term and short term adaptives there are usually speed/load
cells where the response characteristics for the short term and the
adaptive value for the long term are used.  In other words, it is possible
that the long term adaptive at idle is different than the one for 30mph
cruise and different for the one at 50mph cruise, etc.  In your first
example (50mph cruise) you had -7% long term.  This is not terrible,
since depending on who calibrated it there might be a typical -5% built
in.  This way if you unplug the engine controller the engine will run about
5% rich until the adaptives catch up.  Also, since these are typically
multipliers your 1.05*0.93=~0.98.  So this is not very far off.

Under WOT conditions the engine controller should, typically, run
open loop.  Whether or not any of the adaptives are used will vary from
company to company, since it is built into the software, which changes
every year.  The only thing I might be concerned about is why your
long term is -21%.  This could be caused by the above mentioned
hot soak condition where the vapors in the charcoal canister build
up while the car is off, and when the car is running again these vapors
come out of the canister causing a rich condition.  This can eventually
drive the long term adaptive to large negative numbers.  Later when
the canister is empty you will end up with the short term adaptive trying
to correct for the long term which is what looks like is going on.  However,
there is definitely no feedback at WOT, so you would want to back out
of the throttle slightly until the short terms starts to update to be sure you
are using the adaptives that are being displayed.

Oh, BTW,  stoich at WOT is bad.  Even though the EPA is trying
to mandate it nobody currently operates stoich at WOT.  When
they do expect vehicle prices to rise.  The engines should have
some great components in them, however.

Jim Boughton
boughton at bignet.net