SFI popping at wot

Todd King Todd_King at ccm2.jf.intel.com
Wed Sep 10 16:31:37 GMT 1997

     I had a brief talk with Mike Lozano at Lozano Bros Porting in San
     Antonio; they were Buick factory sponsored with the stage 2 stuff;
     they did some engines for Indy as well as the Camel lights or GTP
     stuff (something like that). He recalls having some popping problems
     at one point with the indy motors (which ran SFI) under boost. Then he
     started talking about camshaft overlap and injector phasing, saying
     things like "...one phasing may be good for an rpm band but be bad for
     another", "...causes leaning out by dumping fuel out the exhaust",
     etc. He's a real nice guy but I know he is extremely busy so I didn't
     want to push the phone chat any longer; they aren't into the street
     stuff anyway. But some good food for thought... So then the light bulb
     started to fizzle a bit- (bzzzzzzt-fizzle-pop-bzzzzzzttt...)  Say we
     have a small stock inj (like a 28 lb/hr GN unit) and it needs 10ms to
     shoot its load (sorry, better put the kids to bed now) at say 4000
     rpm.  And say that the stock phasing fires the inj early in the inlet
     cycle such that the overlap period is substantially covered by the inj
     firing too. Now at this rpm the overlap period is a fairly long time
     in ms. But the small inj spreads its shot out such that the overlap
     period does not see that much fuel coming in, relatively. We assume
     that some of the fuel goes right out the exh during the overlap
     period. Then go up to a 55lb inj; suddenly the pw is 1/2 what it was
     with the stock inj. Now the shot intensity during overlap is doubled
     and with similar phasing we might see twice as much fuel head out the
     exh during overlap as compared to the smaller inj. Make sense? Then to
     make things worse, throw in a turbo with a large .82 a/r exh housing
     and a big, efficient compressor at high airflow; now the exh manifold
     backpressure is substantially reduced such that there is even more
     tendency for fuel to be blown through during overlap. Now we get a
     lean pop since a substantial amount of fuel that was supposed to be in
     the cyl at fire time had already made a direct exit out the exh during
     overlap. This is when people see the pops- after installing larger inj
     and windy turbos. Hmmmm...

     Todd       todd_king at ccm2.jf.intel.com

     PS That new staged dual fuel pump setup arrived last night; it's gonna
     be a fun weekend, full of boost. Looks like I might be "forced" to
     slick up the car Sat night and go to where the big blocks play... ;-)