carb vs. efi

Byron Clemens bclemen at cms.cc.wayne.edu
Fri Sep 12 21:02:55 GMT 1997

At 01:33 PM 9/12/97 -0500, you wrote:
>he'p me out here .... have a friend that's a died-in-the-wool
>Holley carb fan and thinks I've made a big mistake going to efi
>(I'm not racing)
>
>He's an engineer, has worked as a mechanic, owned a speed shop
>and raced for a number of years, so I regard his opinion.
>
>He argues that no top racer (NHRA is his game) runs efi.  I admit
>that's probably right, but the reason isn't because it's not better,
>but rather that it's too danged difficult to change at the
>track ....

>Tom Cloud

 NHRA has not allowed injection in the Pro-stock ranks and this class sets
the standard for the lower classes. In NMCA drag racing, however, fuel
injection is allowed and Mike Moran's car, among others, runs EFI along
with nitrous and has done very well.
  On a much lower scale, we will try to set the record in an obscure NHRA
class (SS/EC) in mid October at Indy with an SDS EFI system on our 4 cyl.(2.2)
front wheel drive, automatic, normally aspirated Sunfire. We currently
run 13.70 @ 100mph with the combination.

                                          Byron