Injector pintle end caps

Michael Skolones michaels at telerobot.com
Fri Sep 12 21:28:10 GMT 1997

--IMA.Boundary.026990478

     "Rebuilt" is probably somewhat of a misnomer. Since I couldn't replace
     the pintle caps and o-ring supports, my "rebuild" consisted of
     replacing the o-rings at either end of the injectors, testing the
     valves by applying 12V to the connectors and compressed air to the
     fuel inlet, and repeatedly filling the injector with Gumout carb
     cleaner.  At the same time I did this I cleaned the throttle body and
     replaced some throttle seals.  After this my 250K+ mile engine runs
     like new (well, almost) with the original fuel injectors.

     I'd say test your injectors using the spray-in-the-jar method.  If
     they squirt funny (stream rather than mist), clean them with carb
     cleaner and try again.  If they spray nicely, clean them anyway.
     Switch 12V to them repeatedly on/off to see if they stick or leak at
     all.  There's no way to tear them down, so if cleaning doesn't cure
     them they need to be replaced.

     Try www.rprusa.com or 1-800-81VOLVO for RPR in Albany. They are a
     Volvo-only outfit, but if you know the Bosch part number for your
     injectors they might be able to cross-reference a kit.

     Mike Skolones