fuel flow sensing

Clare Snyder clsnyde at ibm.net
Sun Sep 14 00:24:36 GMT 1997

>Hi,
>
>I have a question thats not really on topic.
>
>I'm building a trip computer for my car, and i'm after some sort of fuel
>flow sensor so i can measure how much fuel im using (btw, my car still
>carburetor)
>
>The only flow meters i  have seen were really expensive, i was wondering
>if anyone knows where can get one quite cheaply. (preferably in Australia)
>
>thanks in advance
>
>Jason

Don't know where you can get one right now, particularly in OZ, but a simple
flow meter has a ball that runs around in a circular passage,chased by the
fuel. There is a light on one side and a photocell on the other that is
interupted by the ball. The computer counts the passes of the ball to
measure fuel flow. I think I still have one floating around up here in
Ontario Canada.