L-jet over rich

Seth n9540517 at cc.wwu.edu
Sun Sep 14 19:03:02 GMT 1997

On Sun, 14 Sep 1997, Wilman Lee wrote:

> ----------
> > From: sjacobs914 at juno.com
> > To: diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
> > Subject: L-jet over rich
> > Date: Saturday, September 13, 1997 11:08 AM
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am trying to get a 74 914 with L-jet thru emissions.  And we are
> > running rich, really rich.  I have checked out every component of the
> > system, they are all fine.  But I have playied with the air flow meter.
> > I notice if I hold back the plate physically I am running in the right
> > ball park.  Is there a way of adjusting the flapper so more resitacance
> > from the spring is provided?
> Open the top plastic cover and adjust the flap spring tension underneath.
>
>  I have not hooked up the CO2 meter yet,
> > don't need to as much black smoke that pours out the tail pipe.  It is a
> > visual thing.  Please help me with this one.
> >
> > Once past the test, this car wil be exempt then I will be build a new
> > intake system and using a PEFI of homebrew.
> >
> > Also I am looking for information on someone building a direct ignition
> > system.  I have seen the stuff on the DTI-EFI web site, but I am looking
> > more for a premade kit.
> >
> > Take care,
> > Stephen Jacobs
> > SJacobs914 at Juno.com -- or -- 102036.2004 at Compuserve.com

Stephen- my 1975 1.8 L-Jet gave black smoke with bad vacuum leaks.
Wierd, huh?  Try the coolant temp sensor first, the call automobile
atlanta for a kit with all the new 20 year old vacuum hoses that need
replacing.  then plug in the vacuum lines to the vacuum advance/retard
ports on the distributor, if your car is anything like mine.  It's lots
cleaner and starts and runs well.  Also gets good mileage.

Seth