How to Build CFI.

eric schumacher e.schumacher at postoffice.worldnet.att.net
Mon Sep 15 03:38:48 GMT 1997

Here's a vote for the CIS
I wrote this for another post but you get the idea.  After some bad
experiences with EFI I switched my loyality to CIS-E for fail soft
reliability.  The engine will run with nothing electrical functioning other
than the fuel pump of course.

The second vehicle in my stable is a California Orange VW Baja Bug based on
a 70 body and 74 pan (to mount the comfy seats and the soft but
high-torque-capable engine mounts).  Engine started life as a 2.0 914 and is
now 2.1 liters with hydraulic lifters and cam.  The fuel injection is a
KE-Jetronic from a 16V with a home-brew open-loop electronic controller and
progressive throttle body. Home brew equal length exhaust that starts with
411 manifolds and ends with a Walker Dyno-Max.. Ignition is Bosch electronic
from a late Rabbit that I recurved to be like a 009 and the vacuum advance
altered to maximize economy when the engine is lightly loaded.  Transaxle is
stock except for 3.75 ring and pinion to deal with 250x75x15 rubber on
Centerline rims on the rear with Monroe adjustable coil-over shocks .  Rear
brakes are 70 type 3drums with a  proportioning valve to adjust front rear
balance.  Frendo brake shoes all around and wheel cylinders  too weird to
detail.  All flexible brake lines are steel braid.  89 Jetta seats on 74 Bug
convertible squabs (to get them the right height.)  Stewart Warner gas
heater (where the spare tire used to live) with 411 electronic temperature
controller. Big mutha deepcycle battery to run the gas heater and ham stuff
with the engine off.