How to Build CFI.

Tom Cloud cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Mon Sep 15 14:12:24 GMT 1997

>I have a dune buggy project in mind. I have alot of knowlegde in building
>engines and race engines and i'm building a vw 1835 as i dont want to
>overstress the motor or over heat it since its going to be in the mud. BUT i
>am building i really really really nicely built "to the hilt" motor and i
>wanted to do it as low buck as i can. now this is where you guys come in. I
>wanted to know how do i build a 1 sensor CFI system. Ok i know it exist
>because its going to cost me 1 damned thousand dollars. I know this. Its
>adjustable from the inside of the car and only works w/ 1 sensor. Also i know
>it's Throttle bodies look like the dual carbs you would normally buy....what
>do you all think?

I don't know what you said  8^)  .....  but, the Holley 502 ProJection
system is about as low as you can go .... uses only TPS, RPM and temp
as sensors (and you could leave off temp if you wanted).  An option
is available to add EGO feedback -- which, I've found, is necessary
as there's a lean condition when holding TPS constant (i.e. neither
decel or accel) and dropping engine speed (RPM) -- e.g. when
climbing a hill.  A very lean condition results (same thing occurs
when slowly opening up the accelerator -- lean until RPM comes up).

Tom Cloud