I understand Q-jets

Michael Skolones michaels at telerobot.com
Fri Sep 19 20:24:49 GMT 1997

--IMA.Boundary.426007478

     I think the point was that the Quadrajet couldn't take a high-pressure
     electric fuel pump due to needle valve restrictions, whereas the
     Holley units can take a stronger valve  and therefore a higher
     pressure from an electric pump.  Apparently the mechanical pumps don't
     put out enough fuel to keep either carb's bowl(s) filled, though I
     have my doubts about this.  A pump is a pump, it's only a matter of
     size.

     Of course, there's nothing saying you couldn't have a lower pressure,
     higher flow pump with fatter fuel lines on a Quadrajet.  That would
     get around the valve problem.

     The whole question is silly anyways; I'm sure that if you tried hard
     enough you could get equal performance out of Q-Jets or Holley carbs
     if they are rated the same CFM and sufficient fuel were supplied.  And
     likewise I doubt that "all" hot rodders "couldn't" understand Q-Jets.
     For some people, performance mods are influenced by style,
     advertising, your buddy's opinion, etc, and "Holley" or "Edelbrock"
     logos look a lot neater on your car and clothes than 'Rochester
     Quadrajet".