Anyone know...

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at mcione.com
Mon Sep 22 00:30:30 GMT 1997

>...If the engine in the Ford Probe GT (93-97) is the same basic engine as
>whats in the Contour and Mystique now? I am pretty sure that the engine is
>the same, but the intake manifolds and the ECUs are different. I know the

The blocks are of the same origin, however I ::think:: they have been bored
to different displacements, but I'm not completely sure.  my friend's
girlfriend recently bought a Mystique and when I see them tomorrow, I'll
poke my nose under the hood.

>have the same engine? I was interested in the extra 10 horsepower and in
>the 196hp of the SVT (versus 164 for the Probe :( ) and thinking about
>adapting the Contour's sytem to the Probe...

If you are looking for additional performance out of your Probe - you have
several choices to go.

First, is to find a Ford 3.0L Taurus SHO engine, as there is a small but
loyal aftermarket following for this engine, which is rated 220HP by Ford.
A neat thing is that it bolts directly to the Probe's transaxle, assuming
both vehicles are stick rather than Auto.  I would ::think:: that if both
vehicles have an automatic, the compatibility would be there as well.  But,
like above, I'm not completely sure.

Another option, though its not immediately obvious to me if it would work,
proved successful on my 1993 Lincoln Continental, which is a front-wheel
drive 4000lb sailboat, with a 3.8L Ford engine.  I increased the size of
the injectors slightly, and fabricated brackets for an existing Paxton
supercharger that I had, and attached it to the vehicle on the passenger
side of the engine, since its transverse.  Very crowded.  However boost, at
low levels (under six PSI) yield a decent increase in performance without
blowing the rings.  I have just about 75k miles on the car, about 62-63K of
which were supercharged.  So far, I've not been plagued with any engine
problems, and the compression as of a month ago is equal among the
cylinders and quite strong.  Of course, I use 93 Octane gasoline.

If you aren't into the Supercharge thing, and I have to admit it was a real
pain in the ass to find space as well as fabricate the necessary brackets,
you might consider a turbo.  Its much easier to install as it goes behind
the engine towards the firewall, however then you have interesting
intake-hose routing problems.  Either way its a pain, but I wish I went the
turbo route.  I lucked out and didn't have to change the ECM, any prom
chips (if that's even doable), or wiring for the supercharger.  Lock and
load.  I think the car "adapted" to the additional pressure then
compensated with the larger injectors I installed.  I did all of the above
under the direction and supervision of a more knowledgable friend who
assisted me in the upgrade.

Hope I added some other choices to your list :)

Frederic Breitwieser
Homebrew Automotive Mailing List
Bridgeport, CT 06606
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/4605/index.html