Humidity

Charles Fulton cf352197 at oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Tue Sep 23 01:31:18 GMT 1997

Frederic Breitwieser wrote:

> >Why is that when humidity goes up engines make more power???  My thinking is
> >that if the air is more humid (AT THE SAME TEMP) there is less oxygen,
> >therefore less engine power.  Also the humidity's temp. increase takes away
> >some of the energy, making less available for pushing the piston.  Any hints
> >on this subject??

When water is subjected to high temperature and pressure (like in an engine) it
will break down into its component hydrogen and oxygen and actually become fuel.
That's why you don't use water to put out a magnesium fire.  It works just like
nitrous oxide, except that the hydrogen from water is more willing to burn than
nitrogen so it should work better than nitrous.  Water injection, I believe, was
popular on tractors,  and has been attempted on a few drag cars.  Though NHRA
made it illeagal, I guess the cars went too fast.

Charlie