Humidity

Robert Harris bob at bobthecomputerguy.com
Tue Sep 23 20:29:11 GMT 1997

Water, used in more than a modest amount, has the unfortunate tendency to
absorb more heat from the combustion process than it returns in increased
expansion of the working gasses.  This means that except for countering other
bad things, water generally does no good.  The increased humidity - increased
power effect most people observe is probably the reduced temperature induced
air density increase. For most engines the pressure should peak about 15
degrees and by about 20 after top dead center the fire is out.  The only hope
for "free" energy that I can see is to inject water a la diesel directly into
the chamber at about this time.  Most of the convertible heat has been utilized
by then and adding excess water will simply result in increased pressure
without affecting the combustion process.

After having been "steamed" into submission for my unorthodox beliefs that
excess thermal energy may be recovered by other means, I still remain convinced
that water used as an expendable working fluid can recover significant power
without violating any generally accepted principles - only now the mechanism
has to be more elegant than simply pissing into the intake.

If the first ingredient ain't Habanero, then the rest don't matter.
Other Obsessions: Ferro-Equinary , 1972 "Killer Whale" Mustang
Robert Harris <bob at bobthecomputerguy.com>