Knock detection on a rotary engine

Robert Gallant gallant at oasys.dt.navy.mil
Wed Sep 24 11:02:45 GMT 1997

> Brings up a question, does a rotary knock like a piston engine?

Hi Alain;

When I blew up my Rx7 (Camden supercharged '86 GXL at 12 psi) I didn't
hear anything other then the normal sounds (headers and free flow
exhaust).  All six apex seals were broken, and parts were missing
(probably blown out the exhaust).

A few months ago I was playing with different spark plugs and detonated
the engine BIG TIME!!  I could easily hear it above all the typical
noise.  It sounded like someone was banging on the engine with a sledge
hammer.  I shut it down quickly and there wasn't any damage.  The 3mm
apex seals saved me.

I've been told that the J&S Knock Sensor works great with the rotary.

--
Rob
gallant at oasys.dt.navy.mil