Turbo Tricks.

KMZ zurlo at execpc.com
Thu Sep 25 12:48:26 GMT 1997

At 02:58 PM 9/25/97 +1200, Dean wrote:

>Along similar lines there are a couple of books on how to make a working
>model jet engine (turbine) and one shows briefly about a small combustion
>chamber (similar to the model jet) between the exhaust and turbo and
>injecting
>fuel in and getting boost at idle. Wouldn't that be interesting!! (if
>your're turboed)
>
>Dean.

That's similar to the Hyperbar setup.  Hyperbar is/was a French company
that combined very large turbos with a bypass valve and combustion chamber
attached to a diesel engine.  Very high specific output, but the light load
fuel consumption was more like a gas turbine than a diesel.  I believe the
Leopard tank had a Hyperbar engine.  I saw a demonstration Hyperbar V8 900
in^3 (15 Liters) putting out 900 BHP @ 2100 RPM.  Package size was only
increased by maybe 10% with more than double the stock turbocharged
horsepower.

Jim Zurlo
zurlo at execpc.com