Turbo tricks

Peter Lindberg plindb1 at gl.umbc.edu
Fri Sep 26 15:39:13 GMT 1997

Are these the same people that stuck a 750 hp to 1000 hp rocket turbine
into
ford 9 inch rear ends and promptly got banned by every race track in the
universe as unfair to megabuck dragsters.  Remember seeing them for a
while as
a kid and then they went away.

If the first ingredient ain't Habanero, then the rest don't matter.
Other Obsessions: Ferro-Equinary , 1972 "Killer Whale" Mustang
Currently Interred in the Peoples Democratic Republic of California -
Stalag
Montclair
Robert Harris <bob at bobthecomputerguy.com>
<<

I wouldn't know about them being banned, but yes, I think they did make
an engine designed to connect directly to the rear end.  They also made
rocket powered go-karts.

In the early '70s, my Father built a dragster using 3 turbonique
engines.  It had 1800 hp, and would accelerate to 60mph in .75 sec.
(I forget what the quarter mile time was.)  Yes, rather unfair to those
using piston engines, even turbocharged ones.  He wasn't banned from any
tracks though.  He was about to switch over to a Hydrogen Peroxide
rocket engine with even more power, but had a crash and decided to
retire from racing (fortunately with no permanent injuries).