Newbie; Engine Certification; water injection

DOROTHY I. STREICH DStreich at compuserve.com
Sat Sep 27 21:36:50 GMT 1997

Hello;
I'm Karl (NOT Dorothy) and I'm in California <60 MI North of San
Francisco>.  =

I own a 79 cherokee.  I found this list through Michael Baxter <Think he
did this to me once before>.  I want to build a dirrect port FI or a tune=
port FI AMC 401 set up for low speed.  I also want It to run on propane
<that way I only need to pass the sniff test for smog>  and wondered if I=

could modify a Nitrus system for that.  thoughts are to kidnap a GM
Sequental FI computer and modify its fuel and ignition curves, ect...

Can I do this?  Can I modify a Carb manifold to a port injection manifold=
?

I wondered how it would be posible to get liqued H2O in the combustion
chamber. It seems to me that even if it was liquid when it is in the
intake manifold it would turn to steam when it hit the intake valve and
displace fuel/air mix.

> > I have been playing around with the idea of building a custom car
> > from the ground up including the chassis.  Has anybody looked into
> > what hurdles you need to jump to have a street legal car? How hard
> > to get EPA certification for an engine not currently used by a
> > production car?  I don't think it would be too hard to pass emissions=

> > tests, but that isn't enough to get title and registration.
> =

> I don't know about emissions.  You could probably check the CFRs.  New
> Jersey does have provisions for registering a reconstructed or similar
> vehicle.

Here in CA they are suposed to regester your car by frame year, if you
build your own frame they go by engine year.  When I build a vehical on a=

custom frame plans are to use a pree emissions engine to regester it then=

swap it for a newer model motor.

                                                Karl Streich
                                                79 Cherokee Chief