Knock detection on a rotary engine

Chris Morriss crsm at oroboros.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 30 19:48:24 GMT 1997

In message <01BCCADD.CDD25CB0.chameleo at europa.com>, Seth Bibler
<chameleo at europa.com> writes
>On Tuesday, September 23, 1997 2:28 PM, marchildon at colba.net
>[SMTP:marchildon at colba.net] wrote:
>>
>> With the talk of rebuilding rotary engines and installing a EFI on one of
>> them.
>>
>> Brings up a question, does a rotary knock like a piston engine?
>>
>> I have a GSL-SE with a Vortech supercharger set at 7psi, that is now
>> controlled by a SDS EFI (The 332 is not ready yet), with the sound coming
>> from my 2.5" exhaust and from the gears in the supercharger i would be
>hard
>> pressed to hear any thing abnormal coming from my engine.
>>

>> // marchildon at usa.net                                            //
>> // Alain Marchildon                                              //
>
>The turbo models have a knock sensor, and the engine works better with
>higher octane fuel...  I don't know how it compares to the knock sensors on
>piston engines.  Try the RX-7 list (rx7 at world.std.com).
>
>Later,
>
>Seth Bibler
>chameleo at europa.com

I know this isn't really a response to this question, but has anyone
here got experience of running Wankel engines with a glow-plug in place
of the spark plug?  I know that engines modified like this have been
demonstrated a number of times.  The Wankel is an ideal engine for this
'cause the glow plug will get uncovered at a particular point of the
cycle.  I doubt if the standard spark plug position is ideal though.
--
Chris Morriss