Snake oil too??

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Wed Apr 1 05:39:02 GMT 1998

lkurek at smtpgate.anl.gov wrote:

>      Actually, I have a small home porting operation going on the side (2-3
>      sets of heads a month), and use both Dry Film Lubricants (DFL) and
>      Thermal Barrier Coatings (TBC) extensively. While I lack the equipment
>      to determine if the coatings have any real world effects, my
>      experience has been that they work as theorized. By TBC'ing the
>      chambers and falve faces, all of the engines I have applied the
>      copatings to show -0- detonation (this is reading off a knock sensor
>      using regular pump gas). In fact, a few late model LT1 engines I have
>      done this for have allowed people to run 11:1 compression with 89-92
>      octane and no detonation. Also, seems the engines run 10-20 degrees
>      cooler as well. I suppose the TBC is doing something to keep the heat
>      in the charge, and not absorb into the engine. The DFL, on the other
>      hand, seems to work pretty well to decrease wear. I use it in valve
>      guides on the heads, but a lot of places also put it on piston skirts
>      (TRW now does this from the factory as an option), bearing shells, and
>      there is even a version for the cylinder walls. Considering the high
>      pressure these coatings are supposed to be effective at....works for
>      me. ONe thing is for sure, the stuff is DEFINATELY bonded to the metal
>      substrate...unlike Shit...er....Slick 50 type products.
>
>      As far as the expert recommendations on this, pick up a copy of either
>      of David Vizard's books on head porting or engine building...he claims
>      20-30% increase in power from fully coating pistons and chambers in a
>      race engine. I wonder if there is a different degree of benefit at low
>      vs high RPM operation, but the results I have seen speak for
>      themselves. It doesn't hurt anything at worse, and shows a decent
>      reduction in detonation sensitivity and more power at best. Why not...
>
>      TTYL!
>
>      Larry Kurek

> Subject: Snake oil too??
> Author:  <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu> at internet
> Date:    3/26/98 9:24 PM
>
> Questions:
>
> Anybody running powdered coatings in their engines, like
> heat barrier or DFL?  What results have you had?
>
> Any advantages on the street?
>
> What about the ones you apply yourself?  Snake oil with
> poison?
> Reply off list.
> Shannen

Hi Larry.  Hope you don't mind the off list questions.

I couldn't find my old article about these coatings.  Can
you tell me what equipment is needed to apply this?  Do I
have to run larger clearances with DFL coatings?
I found some stuff in Summit racing's catalogue.  Who is
your source?

Any advice that only comes from experience??

Thanks,
Shannen Durphey