High Temp Coatings in a Turbo

Bernie Jacobsen bcjac at ix.netcom.com
Thu Apr 2 18:06:52 GMT 1998

The heat's got to go somewhere.  Inside coating would keep it away from the
metal housing (although you would need to MAKE SURE you have enough
clearence after thermal expansion, remember the turbine expands the same,
the cooler housing expands less).  Coating or wrapping the outside allows
the heat to enter the housing but it can't escape. The housing temperature
will get significantly hotter than normal.

Also, with the housing hotter, theoretically it will expand more, causing
increased clearence between the turbine and the housing. Performance loss?
probably negligable.  But I would be concerned with other parts getting hot
i.e. bearings...

^Bernie