Compressed Natural Gas

Joe Chiasson chiasson at hutchtel.net
Sat Apr 4 01:11:18 GMT 1998

> The high octane rating of CNG has got me thinking about
> using it over methanol when running in a boost state.
> This should allow a high compression ratio for non-boost conditions
> when running on gasoline, such as freeway crusing,
> and then flow the CNG when the boost comes in.
> Only a small tank of CNG would be needed, not some heavy monster tank.
> If the CNG runs out, just wastegate out the boost until you get home
> to fill it up again from the public-utility natural gas supply
> running off your CNG compressor.  Sounds like a plan to me!
> Are the electronically controlled CNG regulators?
>
> -Kelly Murray  kem at franz.com
>   http://www.htrd.com/kem/efi.html -- needs up now for CNG!

 1 gallon of CNG stored under 2400 psi gets you about 22% of the energy of
1 gallon gasoline.  3600 psi gets you about 33%.  If you make you tank too
small you will be making alot of trips back home.  But if your just looking
for a few passes on the strip it would be a cool idea.  Methane has a RON
of 120, while methanol has a RON of ~109 and a MON of ~89 (at least form
some of the literature i've read).   There is also LNG where I have read
you can get upto 67% of gasoline gallon equivalence.

j.