OBD-II (related to LT1 EFI)

martin at mgass.demon.co.uk martin at mgass.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 6 11:06:21 GMT 1998

I wonder if there are vehicles out there that have a J1962 16 pin
socket but are not OBD-II.

I have a European GM car that appears to be this way (CarComp won't
work with it) yet the error codes the ECU logs are definately OBD-II
P0XXX codes.  (It has pin 7 but no pin 10 or 10).

I have noted on the Actron site that they have a NON-OBD-II  ScanTool
that works with US GM vehicles, some of which need a special 16pin
J1962 adaptor cable. The OBD-II module is a separate option for a
different list of cars again..

So it looks to me that some manufacturers are fitting the J1962
connector (presumable for standardisation reasons) but not
implementing the OBD-II protocols unless they are forced to
(which in Europe they do not have to...yet!).

The question remains about my GM vehicle... is it perhaps OBD-I or a
GM proprietary protocol ?
Is OBD-I as well defined as OBD-II  (and where is it defined).

regards,

Martin
martin at mgass.demon.co.uk