OBD-II (related to LT1 EFI)

Mike Fahrion mfahrion at bb-elec.com
Mon Apr 6 16:47:33 GMT 1998

>> >I have a European GM car that appears to be this way (CarComp won't
>> >work with it..etc etc

>> hmmmm - sounds like an iso9141 configuration - what model/year car?
Where
>> was it mfg'ed?  How are you reading the error codes?

>..1996 Vauxhall Omega 2ltr (SimTec ECU), model first released 1994.
>Marketed in US as Cadillac Catera (but with different engines &
>different ECU ?)

hmmmm - the US version of the Cadillac Catera uses the ISO9141
implementation of OBDII.

>...Car had some problems with Crank Sensor (now fixed), can read the error
>codes by connecting pins 4 & 6 (if I remember correct) to get the MIL to
>blink the codes. (Code was 01335).

I think if it was true obdii this wouldn't have worked.

>CarComp OBDTool does not get beyond the break sequence, i.e. the ScanTool
>does not see a 55H back from the ECU at the ECU preferred baud rate (was
>expecting 10.4Kb).

That pretty well rules out ISO9141.  I think you're on the right track with
"obd-i".  You get into a real grey area here though since this isn't really
a standard the way obdii is.  The guy at carcomp has some expertise in
pre-obdii german cars (vw in particular), perhaps he could offer some
insight.

Good Luck
-mike