Home Dyno/ 2d v 3d/ new list?

Scott Croughwell scott at outwest.net
Tue Apr 7 02:42:08 GMT 1998

Hi gang,

> > There's a software package called Home Dyno for $40 bucks that does
> > this.

I have this package and use it.  The thing takes your vehicle data
(weight, gear/final drive, coefficient of drag, etc) and combines this
with a .WAV file that you record of your engine using an inductive pickup
on a spark plug, to calculate engine power.

Though the horsepower figures given by the program seem to be lacking in
accuracy, there is a good degree of precision (ie. consistency) between
runs, and this has been tremendously helpful in doing things like tuning
adjustable cam sprockets and seeing if removing the air filter really
does help your engine make power.

For $40 and the cost of a timing light (to cut off the inductive pickup)
I'd say it's a worthwhile expenditure for the home-hotrodder!

-Scott