What is the necessary resolution of Injector times? (fwd)

Ron & Cathy Webb cwebb at eagle.ptialaska.net
Mon Apr 13 00:05:34 GMT 1998

Thor -

I am surprised to see an attempt at interpolation. I was under
the impression that the resolution of the map (256*) was more
than adequate. I have one map that is 16* (an aftermarket add on
ECU for a 2 stroke snowmobile engine - open loop), and as best I
can tell by looking at the pulse widths, it is not interpolated.

My approach would be to go with a 16* map, and fine tune to the
O2 sensor. Remember that even with a 16* map, the max error comes
out to (1/32) or about 3%. If that isn't good enough for you, I
hope you never try to tune a carburated engine (the carb on the
aformentioned snowmobile has 5 jets for different points on the
curve, all adjested differently) you would wind up in the funny
farm if you insisted on better than 3% for all.