?s about EFI conversion using GM ECM

ABTSZ ABTSZ at aol.com
Tue Apr 14 03:38:13 GMT 1998

HI,
I am new to the list, and I have a couple of questions.  I looked thru the
archives but there are so many, I'm sure I missed the answers that must be in
there!
Basically, I am going to try to adapt a GM EFI system to my non-GM engine.  I
was considering using the ever-popular "730" computer.  My engine is a 6-cyl
and I would pull the EFI system from a J-body with a v6.  I would then adjust
the fuel pressure until it was "close" and let the block-learn do the rest.
  I have already looked around and all the harness I can find are hacked.  I
have finally decided that I might just be "lazy" and order a new harness.
There are many aftermarket harnesses for V8 TPI conversions around for as low
as $200 maybe less if I look some more.  One of those, a 730 from the
junkyard, and some new sensors from DAP and I'll be set...maybe.
The questions I have are:
1:  Will a V8 TPI harness function as a 6cyl harness, so long as the 730
computer has the right calibrator, etc.  Or will I have to rearrange all the
wires at the connector?
2:  I will not be attaching anything but the bare essentials to the harness.
In other words, No VSS, EGR, etc.  Just the MAP, Water temp, air temp,and TPS
and HEI.  Will this cause any problems?  The computer can flash error codes
all day long for all I care, just so long as it runs OK.  Or will I have to
buy a chip with all these things disabled (I have NO programming skills)?

TIA,
Adam