GM Speed Density for 2.8L W engine

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Tue Apr 21 08:08:31 GMT 1998

David Garnier wrote:

> Shannen
>

> >ASMZ prom fits 87 A body (Celebrity) with 2.8, 4spd auto,
> >federal emiss.
>
> God, you are good! :-) Yep you got most of it, other than
> it's a eurosport wagon with 3.31 gears.  I was surprised to
> find that there was different versions for different gear
> ratios... I rememeber hearing someplace that transmissions
> are calibrated to engines these days.  When I was at my local
> Chevy dealer, I asked what is suppose to be in there and I
> got the following. ECM's started as 1227730, then 16198262
> and then some others; I then started to get overloaded with
> the details.  I copied down off his tube, 1388ADCK, 3024ADRF,
> 5486AAXN and 4456ADRF for memcals. I will go back there again
> and verify this data. I have been looking for another Celebrity
> with 2.8W engine without the speed density revision but I
> haven't even found a speed density equiped Celebrity yet. The
> bone yards I go to have the ECM already yanked and sorted only
> by ECM number, $35 to $45 seems to be the going price in the
> yards I have visited.  I would like to try MAT version once
> and see how it feels, seat of the pants that is.
>
> >Was that ECM remanufactured by Delco?
>
> I assume so since it had the typical GM stickon number and
> barcode.  The one I found for my wifes 90 olds 3.3L did say
> it was remanufactured by Delco, so go figure.
>
> So, how where you able to tell me what I had?  Have a good
> friend or work for mister goodwrench? ;-)
>
> thanks
>
> dave garnier
> --
That's interesting.  Something seems funny about that ecm
not having a removable prom, but I haven't dug around in
enough of them to call myself any kind of expert.  I work
for the General, and looked that prom up in the bulletin
about speed density conversion.
I've done a few of these conversions, and I think the car
runs better with s/d.  BTW GM proms generally run around the
same price as a junkyard ECM.  Doubt that the MAF prom is
available though.

As far as all of the ecm number changes, there's a bunch.
The parts guys have a chart they use when ordering reman
units.  Some day I'll copy it, but for now I've got enough
information to worry about.

Shannen