Modified Fuel Injection

Daniel Ciobota dciobota at hiwaay.net
Thu Apr 23 05:17:29 GMT 1998

Howdy folks,

Since this is my first post on this list, I'd like to introduce myself.
I'm a computer programmer, emphasis on graphics and user interfaces, AI
paradigms (neural nets, fuzzy logic, genetic algorithms, ...) which
basically means I like to play with neat stuff :-)

Automotive background includes ownership of two late model mustangs, one
which sees regular visits to the drag strip (when not apart).  I've
fooled around with ford eec systems for about two years now, which led
me eventually to this list.

Now for the reply to Garfield.  Several aftermarket companies sell mafs
as large as 80mm diameter (flow close to 1100 cfm at 14psi!) and they
can come calibrated with different sampling tubes and/or electronics
(i.e. bridge recal.) to give a proper 1-5v range for the airflow
expected, allowing the stock computer to keep using the same internal
fuel tables.  The setup works well, although some have complained that
the mechanical calibrations (the sampling tubes) don't always match the
stock airflow tables, creating surging and driveability problems.

One company whose product I use in both my cars is C&L performance,
right here in town.  The mafs I use are 73mm, which flow well enough for
most hot-rodded v8's out there.  The maf uses the stock ford meter (hot
wire) with the stock bridge.  Calibration for non-stock injector sizes
is achieved through different diameter sampling tubes.  New, the units
sell for about $180, although several internet swap trading places for
stang parts (corral.net, for one) have them used for $100-$120.  Lee
Bender, owner of C&L performance and developer of the meter, has flow
sheets for most of the meters he sells.  I believe the 73mm or the 80mm
units should be plenty for most automotive flow measurements.

Daniel

BTW, were you folks aware that ford built two neural net based
prototypes for cars?  One was for an active suspension system (like
Lotus/Vette), the other was for an adaptive engine control system.
Dunno what happened to them (since about 93), anyone know?