Crank sensor question...

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Thu Apr 23 13:59:59 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Humphris <r.humphris at indigo-avs.com>
Subject: Crank sensor question...
>I have found an interesting little mod for my type of car ( Renault
>5GTTurbo ) which is too simple for words... but I cannot work out why it
works.
 It has been found that if you swap the wires from the crank sensor, to
>the ignition module, the car pulls like a train from 3000rpm upwards.
>The engines used to run out of steam at around 6000rpm, but with the wire
swap, it just keeps pulling...
>Anyone got any ideas why this works like this?
>Rob Humphris

If the pickup up in the dist uses a coil+reluctor then it generates a
A/C signal.  The module has a specific theshold when it triggers.
The faster you spin a reluctor in a coil, the greater the voltage, and
the earlier the signal.  IE in a GM HEI it's a bit over 1.5degrees per
1,000 rpm.   So depending on how it's wired/triggered you now
have a rpm sensitive advance or retard.  Hook a timing light to
a plug wire, and make the switch if the timing retards, then you
know it's retarding as a function of rpm.
Bruce      Just bought a larger Cone Shaped Hat, the Palm
                Impressions are still getting larger in my forehead.