Diacom plus on Pentium laptops

xxalexx at ix.netcom.com xxalexx at ix.netcom.com
Tue Aug 4 15:01:08 GMT 1998

> Date:          Tue, 04 Aug 1998 00:17:19 -0400
> From:          Scott Knight <sknight at mich.com>
> To:            diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject:       Re: Diacom plus on Pentium laptops

I have not seen any 'legacy' requirements.
There is no legislated phase in period for protocol, there
is technolgy exemptions, especially for misfire problems.
I developed a embedded  OBD2 VPW  scanner and module using the
published  stand. J1976 codes in early 96.
The only problem is it would not work if plugged into GM OBD2
car.  I had use of a Snap-On in late 96, that had what snap-on calls
'generic' which is J1976 for Euro cars.  So I made a module and
scanner using ISO-9141.  In 97  I decoded a 97 C-3500 vortech using
a upgraded snap-on.  I found it used  J2190 data packs which seems
to be in violation of the Clean Air Act, since J1979 is required.
A 98 Dodge RAM used 8192 baud which is not even a OBD2 protocol.
A 98 Ford used differential PWM but have not yet attempted to
decipher, some one the list, did say that the Ford manual gives info
about byte deciphering.
I have not yet tried this years snap-on upgrade, it seems that
it might have the requrired legislated J1979  'generic' open
standard for all US cars? , this would make life much easier, thou
data packets or fast.  This is prime example of the only people
following US laws, are the the ones that don't live here..
alex p