Diacom plus on Pentium laptops

Scott Knight sknight at mich.com
Tue Aug 4 17:33:00 GMT 1998

TWong29770 at aol.com wrote:

> Scott,
>
> That is weird, as Diacom is not even suspose to link to any OBD2 cars that I
> know of.  From what Rinda tells me our software as delivered will not link to
> anything newer than a 1995 OBD1 car.  That is very weird.

Well, it connects in 'legacy' mode which I understand the OE's are
required to provide for some time while we all get up and running with
comprehensive OBDII tools.  Back in 1996 when the OBDII cars came along,
I remember the local dealership not even having the OBDII software (if
they are really upgradeable) for the TECH-1.  It took Snap-On until
sometime late last year to get us the software for the scanner that
would read the OBDII properly.  My Diacom+ shipped with an OBDII
adapter, that while it plugs into the DLC, it reads the legacy terminal
only and ignores the OBDII signal altogether.  Bob Bailey does the same
thing with his Scanmaster for the OBDII LT1 engines (which I run all the
time).  What these tools can't do in legacy mode is read and reset
trouble codes and all the OBDII specific parameters are not reported as
well.  Hope this helps.

Later dates.
Scott Knight  mailto:sknight at mich.com
http://www.mich.com/~sknight IRC:SS396man ICQ:8353618
'95 Black Impala SS
'96 Black K3500 Extended Cab Duallie 7.4L Vortec
'94 Ducati 900SS CR