Widlerizing

Mike Turner MikeTurner at kemet.com
Fri Aug 7 15:54:16 GMT 1998

Bob Pease in a recent issue of Electronic Design relates the Widlerizing
much better than I can but the gist was that Bob would take a failed
component that had caused him unusual grief to a vise, place the offending
component on the anvil part, and proceed to reduce it to very very very
small fragments using the proverbial pi pound hammer. This provided him
both some sense of retribution and assurance that that particular component
could never appear again to plague his designs. I will admit that this has
worked for me personally and that failure to Widlerize or throw away a bad
part almost guarantees its resurrection at some inopportune future date.
Unfortunately, universal application of Widlerizing to all offending
components in my universe seems to be frowned upon by the authorities.