(Off topic?) Help my car run better

justin w ivan und stnt jwi0939 at megahertz.njit.edu
Tue Aug 11 13:58:56 GMT 1998

I was wondering if the collective knowledge of the list could help me get
my car running better. This is not directly list related so please respond
directly to me if it is going to upset anyone.
   The car in question is a 92 VW. It has had the supercharged (from the
factory) 1.8L motor, controlled by Bosh Digifant FI from the Corrado
transplanted.
   From the factory the motor uses a 9 psi supercharge to get 158Hp from
the motor. This motor was swapped in from another car and I am questioning
if everything was done correctly.
  Here are the symptoms of what I think is wrong.

                I had the car off the road for 6 months and just put it
back on a week ago. The problems with the car are that through the first
three gears the car pulls as I remember it. It runs strong rpm's rise
quickly as does boost In fifth and even fourth the car is a dog. It just
sits there and rpm's barely move. Part throttle repsonse is decent but WOT
throttle is not better if not worse then part throttle. A downshift to
fourth barely makes a difference, hit third and the car moves out nicely.

	Before I put the car on the road I replaced the thermostat and
flushed the radiator as well as replaced the plugs and cap and rotor.
 The car passed NJ emmissions without a problem even with a hollowed cat.

Here is part of the problem, the car runs an open element air filter
which breathes the Hot engine compartment air and the intercooler is not
only in the engine compartment getting heatsoaked but the tubing is hacked
to gether rubber hoses that expand quite a bit under boost and are probaly
leaking some. Both of these problems are going to be fixed soon but the
car was like this before the WOT problems in fourth and fifth.
   Some of the problems that I was thinking about are maybe O2 sensor, but
that shouldn't matter at WOT right? and perhaps the ECU is limiting the
motor becuase the intake charge is just too hot? We are having 85+ degree
days here which doesn't help the Forced Induction cars.

  Recap- VW 1.8L factory supercharged car runs good in 1st through 3rd,
like a dog in 4th and 5th.
The motor is Bosch digifant controlled and is pretty much factory.
 Any answers/questions please e-mail me directly at
jwi0939 at megahertz.njit.edu

Thanks
Justin Ivan