Ignition Problem (sorta related)

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Tue Aug 11 14:31:21 GMT 1998

>Back in my Enduro days this was a "known" trick among us riders to get a 2
>Stroke Motor to fire after fouling a plug. Funny back then I always
>wondered what phenomenon was causing it. My WAG ( Wild Ass Guess )  is the
>voltage going across the plug gap will be higher because the coil now will
>have to store a higher voltage to over come the two gaps in series. The
>higher voltage punches through the gasoline and air making the carbon
>resistor on the insulator ( due to carbon fouling ) a higher resistance
>than the ionised fuel mixture. To the list, am I even close ???
>
>Regards
>Gorden
Gordon--read the one I sent yesterday about current leakage across the gap
of a fouled plug keeping the voltage from ever rising high enough to jump
the gap. Your WAG was real close. Basically, the auxiliary gap prevents
early leakage across the fouled gap, When the juice finally jumps the aux
gap, you get a much faster voltage rise rate across the fouled plug gap,
and it fires.
                                Regards, Greg