New EFI controller

EFISYSTEMS at aol.com EFISYSTEMS at aol.com
Wed Aug 12 09:14:19 GMT 1998

Hi Guys,Gals,
      A group of us have been working on an EFI controller for oem and
aftermarket use and I wanted to tell you all a little about it and hopefully
you will have some suggestions on how to improve it,,,,we feel the controller
is finished and are still debugging software,,,but if we are missing something
and there are ways to improve this,requiring additional hardware, no worries,
please speak your mind.

      Here are a few of its' qualities:

-size:   5" x 3.25 x 1.25   (kellog'g's pop tart)
-temp:   -55c - 125c-  waterproof and engine mountable(vibration tests
finished)
-36 way Delphi waterproof connector
-Motorola MC68332 32-bit dual microprocessor including time processing unit
for high speed digital signal processing. Embedded real-time code with a real
time kernel to provide modularity and easy maintenance.
-Non volatile programmable flash memory (16 bit) expandable from 128k to 1MB
fully programmed in 10 seconds over 100,000 cycles.
-64k volatile fast static ram (16 bit)
-2K non volatile fast static ram supplied by keep alive power allowing
diagnostics and adaptive storage.

Wait I'm getting too technical on the hardware,sorry let's brief it as this
could go on for a while....
-0-250 kpa map sensor temp compensated
-digital inputs are fully configurable for direct sensing of GM, Ford,Chrysler
and even variable reluctance rotational speed sensors.
-Integrated software/calibration port attatched to pc parallel port allowing
flash reprogramming,data acquisition( up to 2MB per second(not a typo)) on all
internal parameters including adaptive tables, software development,
calibration development, on board diagnostics and end of line diagnostics.
-10 high speed saturation drivers capable of sinking 3 amps for injectors,air
bypass solenoid, trasmission shift,etc.(including diagnostic sense electronics
detecting open, short, and over temp conditions)each channel is capable of
driving 2 high impedance injectors at 80% virtually forever.
-4 high speed high current drivers capable of sinking 6 amps necessary for
driving low impedance injectors(including dianostic sense as above) Each
channel is capable of driving a low impedance injector @ 80% virtually
forever(how about those 120lb injectors for boost conditions???)
-2 high speed drives with 4 outputs for controlling stepper motors
-2 low speed saturation drivers for controlling incandescent lamps,relays,etc.

Now onto the software side.....

-4 different open loop fuel system architectures

1.   MAF and MAP system: MAF sensor utilized for steady state flow calculation
employing a MAP sensor for adaptive VE utilized during transient mass air
calculations. Additionally, for high power apps after the MAF sensor has
maximized its flow, a speed density architecture is employed. This sytem
offers the most robust fuel delivery allowing transient mass air flow
calculations to be adapted in real time......Once parameters are set unit will
self tune with proper equipment hooked to inboard dataloggger/calibrator.
2.  MAF system.....system can self calibrate with proper equipment.(not as
robust as above)
3.  MAP system.....system can self calibrate with proper equipment.(not as
robust as above)
4.  Speed Throttle ..can self calibrate with proper equipment(not as robust as
above)

5 different closed loop fuel system architectures.

1.  UEGO + EGT system:  Single or dual UEGO sensors are employed with
individual cylinder EGT sensors to adapt individual cylinder fuel trim under
all operating conditions. this system offers the most robust closed loop fuel
control allowing adaptation at all fuel ratios.
2.  UEGO system:  Single or dual UEGO sensors are employed to adapt bank or
entire engine fuel trim under all operating conditions.
3.  HEGO + EGT System:  Single or dual HEGO sensors are employed with
individual cyl EGT sensors to adapt individual cylinder fuel trim around
stoich air fuel ratios.
4.  HEGO System:  Single or dual HEGO sensors are employed for stoich ratios.
5.  EGT system: Single or multiple EGT sensors are employed to adapt
individual cylinder, bank or entire engine fuel trim. Spark, air fuel, and EGT
relationships must be calibrated for each package for robust control.

Now for some of the good things it can do for you......

-Feed forward transient fuel compensation
-Wall wetting transient fuel compensation
-Cranking and start up fuel strategy with lost fuel compensation
-Open loop spark calculations adjustable with speed, load, commanded air fuel
ratio, air temps,engine temps, and special cranking strategy.
-Closed loop spark knock strategy with individual cylinder adaptation
-Idle speed control with mass airflow controller and spark feedback
-Sequential fuel injection device driver with end of injection calibration.
-Bank Fuel injection device driver
-Auxilary STAGED fuel injection device driver
-Feed forward simultaneous injection device driver
-Spark/Dwell actuation device driver
-Wastegate control
-Misc. low speed device drivers
-On-Board diagnostics
-Special output test mode
-and all of this is OBD2 and upcoming years interceptable
-and more

As for cost.......we don't know yet.....I'm sure it will depend on the
hardware software requirements.

As of now still debugging and encrypting(8 layers maybe more) software.(I'm
sure it can be broken but it better be NASA)

And now an example of what this controller can do.......

540 cu in BBC way too large of camshaft
Screw type supercharger/intercooled. 8lbs boost
980 ft lbs torque @3600 rpm
770hp at 5200 rpm
92 octane Union 76 pump gas
would pass emissions for the year 2000 from cold startup and of course once
cat warmed.
controller self calibrated in 10 start ups and run in vehicle(obviously this
had 8 HEGO's and would only be for OEM's)

Anyway if we are missing something that you guys have wanted to see in an
aftermarket controller please mention it as we want to have the best system on
the market bar none....Thanks for listening.
-Carl Summers