New EFI controller

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Thu Aug 13 05:42:56 GMT 1998

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998 05:13:30 EDT EFISYSTEMS at aol.com writes:

<snip>

>Anyway if we are missing something that you guys have wanted to see in
an
>aftermarket controller please mention it as we want to have the best
system on
>the market bar none....Thanks for listening.
>-Carl Summers

[drool drool]

I'm using Holley Pro-Jection right now, so I can see the advantage of a
lot of the capabilities of your unit.  What would I like to also see?
Let's see...

The ability to control the spark advance
 - adaptive - able to trim each cylinder seperately
 - with sensors - piezo or ion sensing
 - the ability to fire seperate coils (no more dizzy gap)

Multiple maps held seperately in memory and either switched on command or
via sensor.  That way, multifuel engines (gasoline, methanol, ethanol,
propane, methane, etc) can be run with each fuel having its own set of
tables.  Also, some 'rodders like to make quick changes before a run.
You could have one set of tables for street use, and another set of
tables for use when the rockers are tightened down for greater lift and
duration.

The ability to control valve timing.  A while back, here was a thread
about varying the valve timing using a stepper motor and either a
planetary gear or a differential setup.

Inputs for the wide-range lambda sensors (EGOR project) and a table that
will allow the programmer to set a rich mixture at WOT or high boost, and
a lean mixture for lighter throttle cruise.  Holley Pro-Jection has the a
table for the O2 voltage set points, but it is pretty well useless
without a wide-range lambda sensor.

Ability to control water injection - tied to knock sensor.

Ability to control a seperate injecter that injects an octane enhanser or
a high octane fuel.  That way, a supercharged high compression engine
could be built that will normally run on 89 octane gasoline and switch to
some 104+ stuff for high boost.  You could fill a small tank with a
commercial octane booster (the kind you normally mix in the tank), and it
could be added as needed.  This would be similar to the two-stroke
engines that use a seperate oil tank instead of having it pre-mixed with
the gas.

Control of the EGR.

Control of the automatic transmission.

A couple of outputs that'll cut accessories (field coil of alternater,
A/C clutch, etc) when full power is needed, but will restore the
alternater field if the voltage starts to drop.

Inputs for vehicle speed sensing.

Outputs for a digital dash, or a seperate adapter.  Maybe even a program
so that you could turn an old laptop into a digital dash.

Divulge the specifications of the data output port so that we can write
our own data acquisition programs.

If you're getting into hardware, I would really like to get a set of
injecters that'll inject liquid propane.

(You wanted a wish-list, you got it!)

If this system is competatively priced (compared to Holley Pro-Jection),
I'll probablly use it for the next engine that I build.

Ray Drouillard
'89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Modified AMC 360 engine with Holley Pro-Jection