New EFI controller

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Thu Aug 13 05:47:21 GMT 1998

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998 09:04:45 -0700 goflo at pacbell.net writes:
>Clive Apps Techno-Logicals 416 510 0020 wrote:
>
>> > As of now still debugging and encrypting(8 layers maybe more)
>software.(I'm
>> > sure it can be broken but it better be NASA)
>>
>> not sure this is a good idea
>> may be better off to release the source and copyright it...
>> that way anyone can modify the setup to do what they need
>> and your unit will be come very popular because of this
>
>Echo Clives comment - Otherwise you're locked into the guys who
>can afford a one-off system market, already pretty well addressed.
>And of course it will be hacked. And obsolete 6 months later.
>If it's as good as you say it is licensing is where the money is...
>
>My $.02 - Good luck
>
>Jack

Another two cents:

Many people are willing to mess with the software, but there are less who
would be willing to spend the time necessary to put a complex circuit
like your controller together.  It might be more profitible for you to
count on selling the controller.  The increased sales (to people who want
to program) will more than offset any loss by the few souls who want to
take soldering iron in hand and build a copy of your computer.  Are you
working with a multilayer board?  That is way beyond most hobbyests.  My
personal opinion is that the time I would spend trying to build a one-off
multilayer board would be better spent earning the money to buy a tested
and warranteed box.