IAC longevity problems

MJones rmjones at cyberhighway.net
Mon Aug 17 14:39:52 GMT 1998

Andy,

Thanks for the info.  When your ECU went up in smoke, did it die completely
leaving you stranded, or just the IAC  driver (I hope?)  At this point I've
disconnected the IAC and adjusted the throttle angle to give a proper warm
idle speed.  Since the boat is a warm-weather toy, so far I think I can
live without the IAC.  'Cold' starts don't seem to be a problem.  Not as
quick and smooth as with the IAC but better than the carb at least.  Since
as often as not one of my friends or my wife is at the helm, I want
behavior to be as predicatable as possible.  Idle not coming down from 1500
on engine start is not a Good Thing.

The original IAC and the replacement are both black in color, and both have
a Chrysler part number stamped on them, i.e. go to a Chrysler dealer, punch
in the number and voila they come up with the part.

What model GM ECU did you use to replace the 4Di?  If you posted this
previously, I'm afraid I don't remember:  Who burned your chip, or is it
stock?    I was hoping to avoid that route, which is one reason I went with
the Holley.  I just took up flying again after several years of not, and so
hobby time is limited.

Mike J.
andy quaas wrote:
>I had a 4Di and the IAC went bad (created a hard staring cenario)
while i was in the backwoods of WI.  According to the holley manual,
it checked out OK.  About 1 week later, my ECU actually went up in
smoke.  Guess what went?  The IAC driver.  So i got a GM puter and
another IAC to use with my 4-bbl holley TBI.  Works great.  Are your
replacement parts black?  The new IAC that i got is larger in diameter
and a bit longer than the original one.

andy Q>