86 505 Turbo trying hard to start

Francois Dion francois at hyperreal.org
Tue Aug 18 20:05:38 GMT 1998

I wrote:
> I have a 1986 Peugeot 505 Turbo. I just did
[...]
> I'm now at the point where I'm about to test
> fuel pressure (what else could it be?). Thing
> is, I have a pressure gauge that can fit Chrysler
> products, and GM multipoint (and a custom
> adapter for my Lancia). I was planning on
> connecting the gauge to the cold start injector
> feed on the fuel rail, but the threads are different.

Pretty incredibly, the bolt from the banjo adapter
at the cold start injector was the same thread as
a Ford adapter I had. After going through my X1/9
parts boxes, I found the proper copper spacers.
So what I did was to fit the bolt facing away from the
cold start injector and bolt this on, and connect it
to the gauge. (for the curious, this is a gauge I
bought at autozone and comes with the Ford
adapter and without it supports chrysler/GM; their
number is CP7818).

I left the other end connected to the fuel rail. I removed
the tachymetric relay, and put a switch in it's place
(eveybody who plays with bosch l-jet has made a
switch like that). Energize the fuel pumps, the
pressure goes to 40 psi which is within norm for
my N9TE engine (the N9T is higher). If I stop
energizing the fuel pumps, it rapidly drops to
20 psi, and then go down a little slower to 0.

That sounds like a leaky injector, doesn't it?

Ciao,
Francois Dion (francois at hyperreal.org)
--
Member: FLU #1722, PCNA