Heatsink grease

Thomas Matthews tmatthew at stny.lrun.com
Thu Aug 20 00:43:39 GMT 1998

I believe that this discussion was the inquiry of the existance of coatings
that increase component to air heat transfer... Ray Bohatz of BAT coatings
advertises a coating that increases heat loss of aluminum (specifically
advertised for TPI runners/plenums). Didn't make sense to me, as I thought
that increased heat conductance would actually make the problem worse by
acting as a heat sink... This make any sense?
On another unrelated note, I bought a Griffin rad and they recommended that
it NOT be painted, but if you must have it black, they could anodize it
which I remeber it being claimed that this would also increase heat
transfer.
Also, please let me know if this message looks funny, I'm currently being
forced to run outlook (outtrash) 98...

> TWong29770 at aol.com
> Subject: Re: Heatsink grease
>

> I think that all of this discussion is referring to the heat conducting
> material that is applied between the device and the heatsink itself.  It's
> commonly white in color and many electronic supply houses such as Newark
> Electronics sells it.  It just makes the heat path to the sink a
> little more
> efficient.
>
> If it wasn't necessary then why is it used in almost every power
> transistor
> application. Or for that matter remove your HEI module from your GM
> distributor and see what's under that!

Yep, and with no heat sink compound, carry lots of HEI spares... They
usually don't last long without it...

Tom