cat...

Alain Marchildon marchildon at usa.net
Thu Aug 20 02:25:32 GMT 1998

While we are on the subject of cat's, I have a sort of EFI related question
about cat's more especially on that rotten egg smell.

First thing's first a description of what we are all up against.

1984 RX-7 13B with a Vortech supercharger, SDS EFI 2 primary and 2
secondary injectors of 50lb/h ea.

Exhaust temp at idle is 750Deg. F WOT is 1475Deg. F the thermocouple is
about 2.5" from the exhaust ports; the exhaust is a custom-made 2.5' pipe
with a hi-flow 3 way cat and a Borla muffler.

I am bypassing a small quantity of compressed air from my Vortech to the
air tube in the cat, but I am getting a very bade rotten egg small from my
exhaust I am leaning out my AF mixture but now I am at a point where I am
afraid to lean out more and kill my engine and also I get a bit of stumble
if I do lean it out more, the AFR monitor that I use is one of those cheap
ones, It reads a bit riche.

What is a guy supposed to do run a car that smell's like rotten egg's or
pull the cat off, or get a reel air pump and loose a few HP?

Alain Marchildon